The name “La Conseillante” first appeared in the middle of the 18th century. It was given to the property by a certain Catherine Conseillan, an influential figure who ran the estate at that time -almost 300 years ago.
Château La Conseillante, one of the most emblematic properties of Pomerol and Bordeaux's right bank, is in constant pursuit of higher levels of excellence. An example of this is its new vat cellar. Built in 2012, it enables a separate vinification of each of the vineyard's plots.
The vineyard is situated in unique terroir, in predominantly clay soil, and is made up of 80% Merlot, which gives round, full and smooth wines. The remaining 20% is Cabernet Franc, planted in gravel soils, which brings structure and freshness to the blend.
"The 2016 La Conseillante is a blend of 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc picked from 22 September to 13 October and 12-17 October at 39.5 hectoliters per hectare. Winemaker Marielle Cazaux told me that there is 13.8% alcohol, nearly one degree less than in 2015, with a pH of 3.65 and it is matured in 70% new oak. This has a succinct bouquet that is stylistically not that far removed from its neighbor Vieux Château Certan: detailed and understated at first with scents of blackberry, wild hedgerow and a touch of pressed flowers. The palate is very well balanced with a fine backbone, but what really marks out this La Conseillante is the salinity that comes through on the second half. It exerts a gentle grip in the mouth, reveals a little spiciness towards the finish whereupon it gently fans out, leaving a touch of black pepper on the saline aftertaste. This is a classic La Conseillante and the best since the majestic 2010. Similar to that vintage, it will require several years in bottle, but it will be well worth the wait.
Drink Date 2023 - 2060
( Neal Martin, Wine Advocate (230), April 2017)
"This is the greatest Conseillante in modern times. Full body and incredible tannins that are polished and velvety. The texture lasts for minutes. I am speechless. What a young and awe-inspiring wine!
( James Suckling, JamesSuckling.com, March 2017)
"This is a big wine, from the colour to the stunning level of fruit and tannin extraction that is not overdone, but is certainly evident. Gorgeous violets and blackberries run through the palate and slightly chewy tannins are extremely well-integrated with the oak. At first you think this carries on the slightly more swaggering style of La Conseillante seen in recent years, with black fleshed fruits and high drama, but as it unfurls in the glass you reclaim also the more floral, vibrant and elegant touches that suggest the heart of this property is unchanged. A touch austere, but that's what you want for long ageing. There is around one degree less alcohol than in 2015, even though they finished picking later. For me, this is a more classic La Conseillante than 2015. The aromatics are just so striking. This is the second year of using biodynamic preparations across the whole vineyard. Michel Rolland consults. 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc aged in 70% new oak.
Drinking Window 2027 - 2050
( Jane Anson, Decanter.com, April 2017)